October is Non-GMO Awareness Month which brings to mind the harmful effects of not only genetically modified organisms but more importantly glyphosate. Glyphosate is the active ingredient in the pesticide Round Up and is very harmful to our beneficial gut flora. When our gut flora is out of balance, it is called gut dysbiosis and can lead to health concerns such as IBS, Crohn’s disease, food sensitivities, leaky gut, autoimmune disease, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, depression/anxiety, and sleep disturbances.
Glyphosate is not the only harmful “additive” to our food supply. Consider other added food chemicals such as FD&C colors, polyethylene glycol (PEG), nitrates, sulfites, artificial sweeteners (e.g., aspartame, sucralose), high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), BHA, BHT, potassium bromate, MSG, and sulfur dioxide. These chemicals are commonly found in boxed and prepackaged foods. It can be challenging to decipher a food label and know what you are truly consuming.
A diet laden with foods high in these types of additives leads to a burden of toxicity on the body and more importantly heavy metal toxicity. Heavy metal toxicity weakens the immune system and encourages parasites, yeast overgrowth, and Clostridia overgrowth. These types of infections create a chronic burden which competes with the body for food, nutrients, and energy. While the first inclination is to eliminate these types of infections quickly, the first step should be to gently reduce the toxicity by limiting the exposure through diet, personal care products, and household cleaning products. This is a process which happens over time and not overnight.
Gentle Steps to Reduce Toxicity
- Eat a diet of REAL food – avoid foods with ingredients that you cannot pronounce.
- Wheat, dairy, soy, and corn contain heavy concentrations of Round Up, which is an excellent reason to eliminate these foods from your diet.
- Choose organic versions of foods that are typically eaten without peeling (g. apples, lettuce, and berries). Organic foods are not sprayed with pesticides.
- Choose environmentally friendly cleaning and personal care products. If it is healthy for the environment, it is healthy for us.
- Bone broth, collagen, and glycine are great ways to “push” glyphosate out of the body.
- When taken daily, Pecta-Sol C, activated charcoal, and Bentonite clay can bind to heavy metals and toxins and safely carry them out of the body.
- Cilantro and parsley are herbs that promote natural detoxification.
- Liposomal Glutathione is a potent supplement which carries heavy metals and toxins from the body.